Daha iyi bir kullanıcı deneyimi için internet tarayıcınızı tam ekran olarak kullanınız.

I moved from my address and the consumption does not belong to me since the electricity was never shut off, how can I cancel it?
You are responsible for all the consumptions until the date of termination of your electricity subscription; if there is still a bill issued in your name, please contact us via Enerjisa Call Centre, Customer Services Centre or Enerjisa Transaction Centre to have it inspected and cancelled, if required.
Geri Bildiriminiz Gönderildi.
Bu cevap size yardımcı oldu mu?
Cookies are used on our website. For more information, please see our Cookie Policy. VIEW DETAILS